Kázmér, Miklós and Papp, Gábor (1999) Minerals from the Carpathians in an eighteenth-century British collection. ANNALES HISTORICO-NATURALES MUSEI NATIONALIS HUNGARICI - A MAGYAR TERMÉSZETTUDOMÁNYI MÚZEUM ÉVKÖNYVE, 91. pp. 5-36. ISSN 0521-4726
Download (5Mb) | Preview
The Woodwardian Collection of the Sedgwick Museum of the University of Cambridge (Cambridge, United Kingdom) is probably the oldest intactly preserved earth science collection in the world. Among its ca. 9,400 specimens (1,574 foreign) it holds 68 specimens of minerals, fossils, and other objects of curiosity, derived from the Carpathians. Local collectors and travellers supplied JOHN WOODWARD (1665-1728), the famous London physician and naturalist with the specimens, which he carefully stored, registered in a catalogue and used as evidences for his natural history studies. Although scattered among other specimens, the Carpathian specimens possibly constitute the oldest existing mineral collection of this region. Most specimens derive from the mining districts of Lower Hungary (now Slovakia) and from Transylvania (now Romania). Collectors, localities and minerals are identified. Appendix 1 lists the entries of Carpathian minerals in WOODWARD'S catalogue. With 2 figures and 2 tables.
|Subjects:||Q Science / természettudomány > QE Geology / földtudományok|
|Depositing User:||M. Kázmér|
|Date Deposited:||04 May 2014 18:47|
|Last Modified:||04 May 2014 18:47|
Actions (login required)